Thursday 4 November 2010

Recently the Guardian published a list of '1,000 Novels You Must Read'. As a person who spends more time with her nose in a book than is good for the eyesight I eagerly looked through to see just how many of the 1,000 great works of literature I had read.

The shameful answer? Thirty one.

Upto that point I had always considered myself a well-read person. Turns out that while I have read a lot of books, the books I read are not the sorts of great literature that make up the Guardian's list.

So here's my challenge. To stop such embarrassment occuring again (and partly because I cannot resist a challenge) I downloaded the Guardian's list and set myself the task of reading every single last one of them.

1,000 novels? How hard can it be?

1 comment:

  1. Just counted, instead of paying attention in my geotechnics class... 60 exactly though I may have missed some! I thought I would have had more too!!

    ReplyDelete